Our Widget:: Why Don't They Just Leave?

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

A Major Success in Maryland

The screenings at Prince George's Hospital Center were amazing, fulfilling our grandest visions for how the "Power and Control" films can be used effectively. The hospital is in Cheverly, MD, outside of Washington, DC, in a county with a rather high rate of crime and domestic violence. The films on health care and law enforcement were shown, along with the main documentary. A nice crowd showed up, asking sharp questions and generating a great dialog among representatives of the different institutions involved in domestic violence policy. In short, it was a microcosm of the coordinated community response that is the underpinning of the the "Duluth Model" and really of the best examples of domestic violence policy making around the world.

Personally, it was a bit embarrassing to have three of my films shown in one place in one day. It got to the point where I asked the audience to meet me in the parking lot after the conference so I could show my other 15 films on a laptop! I don't claim to be an expert on domestic violence, but I did my best to participate in the conversation.

Thanks to all who made this possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment